Happiness is understandable, obtainable, and teachable.
Experiencing happiness begins with the understanding that happiness is not a gift you receive; rather, it is an emotion you create and cultivate in your life. The Pursuit of Happiness organization has identified Seven Habits of Happy People that will cultivate greater well-being in your everyday life. In order to cultivate happiness, you can:
- Build close relationships in which you can share your personal feelings and reveal your authentic self,
- Volunteer or care for others on a consistent basis,
- Engage in a healthy, active lifestyle that promotes physical vitality,
- Find spiritual engagement and meaning through meditation, prayer, organized religion, professional calling, or spiritual exploration,
- Practice mindfulness and positive thinking like optimism and gratitude in your daily life,
- Find an activity or hobby that you can become deeply involved in on a regular basis, and
- Identify your unique strengths and use them for a purpose that is greater than yourself.
We will cover each of these habits and how to implement them in more detail over the coming weeks.