We all want to be happier, but it is hard to carve time out of our busy lives to do the things we think will make us happier. Or we are hoping that if we can just get through our to-do list then we can take time to be happy. We are chasing success with the hope that when we finally find success, it will also include happiness. Unfortunately, happiness is not something we eventually get to once we have achieved success. It is something we need to practice every day. The good news is practicing happiness daily will help us be more successful. So here are 5 tips that take less than 1 minute to implement every day to be a little happier and create success.
- Be Grateful – Each morning list 3 things you are grateful for. Being grateful helps us start the day with appreciation and optimism rather than dread and worry.
- Smile More – Take 15 seconds to practice smiling in the mirror. Then smile at 7 more people throughout the day. Smiling makes you feel better and connects you to other people. It also sends a signal to your brain to be happier. Most importantly, smiling is contagious. Other people will catch it and share it.
- Hug – Offer someone a hug. Hugging releases chemicals in your brain that make you feel better. Hint: It has to be a mutual hug. Don’t hug someone that doesn’t want to be hugged.
- Remember Your Last Vacation – Pause and remember a wonderful moment from your last vacation. Positive experiences can provide happiness over and over again each time we think of them. Hint: Spend your money on experiences rather than things.
- End the Day on a Good Note – At the end of the day think of 3 good things that happened. We can’t remember every detail of every day. So we usually remember a peak experience and/or how our day ended. A month from now we will categorize our days as good or bad based on those last memories. So end with a good memory and your days will be categorized as good days. Keep it up and eventually, so will your weeks, and months, and years.
Hopefully you already do a few of these things automatically. The rest can be added to your list of habits. Start small and don’t try to adopt them all at once. Pick one of the tips and practice it every day for a month without skipping a day. Once it has become a habit, pick another tip and work on that one.
One more note, the research shows that happier people tend to be more successful. So build these happiness habits that take less than 1 minute each day and not only will you become happier, but you will be able to leverage that happiness to create success.