Success Can Be Created Through Happiness
#1 for Psychology and Counseling
#2 for Happiness
#35 for Kindle Overall
#81 for Print in Happiness
Most people want to be successful. The underlying assumption is that achieving success will lead to their happiness. Unfortunately in the race for success, happiness often becomes a casualty of our ambition. We chase our next promotion and next raise with a fervor that leaves little room for anything else. Once we reach that goal, it is almost anti-climatic. We don’t feel the satisfaction and elation we expected so we quickly set our sights on the next goal that will bring us happiness. We get stuck on the merry-go-round of success watching happiness flit in and out of view as we eternally chase the horse in front of us. Happiness never seems to be reachable. It is always around the next turn. But if we reverse the formula. If we put happiness first, we can find success. The research shows we can actually be more successful by putting happiness first. Success doesn’t lead to happiness. Happiness leads to success.
This book is written to help people find their success by focusing on their happiness first. It includes research from the field of Positive Psychology and my own experiences at work, teaching leadership classes, and in mentoring and coaching. The book includes explanations of why these concepts work, how to implement them, and activities to implement happiness in your life.
- Pleasure vs. Happiness – The pursuit of pleasure involves feeling good in the short-term, and if overdone, creates a risk of negative long-term outcomes; the pursuit of happiness consists of intentional activities and habits that promote long term health and well-being.
- Control Your Life – You can be a victim of your circumstances or you can choose to own and change your life so you can create your own happiness.
- Positive Relationships – Positive relationships form a foundation for happiness and success. How we navigate and participate in our relationships has a significant impact on our happiness as well as our health, longevity, and success.
- Higher Purpose – Our Higher Purpose is how we find deep meaning and fulfillment in our lives by contributing to someone or something that is bigger than ourselves.
- Define Success – We can’t get there if we don’t know where we are going
- Clarify and Prioritize – What is our plan. How do we make it happen. What comes first.
- Daily Habits – Success and Happiness are a result of what we do everyday. How do we create daily habits that we are successful and happy today rather than waiting for some future accomplishment that may or many not materialize.